Friday, March 28, 2008

Union Member

Did I not say that NTUC is into everything and anything under the sun? I just joined to become their union member. Given normal circumstances, I would not, but since I am able to get some discounts for school fees and such, I will just sign away!

I was already planning to go and sign up when I saw their roadshow at the Tampines MRT. I have never believed in union membership and I thought (and still think) NTUC is quite...heartland (Low class lah). Yes, I am a bit of a snob but I feel that I am entitled to be one. It is not as if by me being a snob that I would hurt anyone, and so I will continue to be a half-snob.

I would have to live frugally from now on and so I might as well learn to be thrifty, minus the lack of taste. I mean, one can still live a simple life and yet be a little classy. OK, that was my vanity speaking. Well, some of the benefits offered by the Union are good while the others, I am just going to ignore.

Other than the study grants that they give up, I really am not so supported of the union. Simply because the unions here can do nothing much for us a employees. They are in place for show, to tell people and the world out there "Don't say we do not have a union", but I have not seen them win great 'battles' for employees.

I am not endorsing strikes either (which, by the way, is illegal here in the little island of Singapore). I think strikes diminished productivity and while this might get the workers somewhere, in the end, it may be a lose-lose situation.

Secondly is that with my salary bracket, I actually do not warrant much representation from the union. I am pretty much left on my own. I have read with interest, however, that we are partially represented now. How sweet of them.

If you do want to see what is "having too much on one plate", you could click here. I had much trouble navigating the website. I felt I was brought for a round-about ride and yet, still could not really find the answers I needed.

Nevertheless, as long as I get my study grants and subsidies, I am OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment