Saturday, March 22, 2008

4 boxes of tissues and 6 rolls of kitchen towels

This is so funny that I really need to blog about it. Recently I bought supplies to be put at my little rented place. It is easier when you have a car. Thing is, that particular night that I bought those supplies, I had many other things to carry upstairs. I was too tired to go back down again and the next day, had to return the car to my Dad as he needed to send my Grandma to the hospital for her knee operation.

A few days later, while I was having my retreat, I had 4 miss calls from home. Things like that are scary nowadays. You just pray hard that it is not bad news. I called home at the end of the day when we were out of the silent phase.

Turns out that my Dad was pissed with my 4 boxes of tissues and 6 rolls of kitchen towels:

Dad: Eh, you have these boxes and rolls of tissues in the car who are they for?

Me: oh! Those are for my place.

Dad: When are going to take it to your place?

Me: When I next get the car...

Dad: When will that be?

Me: Soon, I guess. Depends when you can give me the car lah!

Dad: You better remove those tissues soon! The are heavy and will eat up more petrol!

Me: WHAT?????!!!!!!!

Dad: They are heavy!

Me: What has tissues got to do with petrol??????

Dad (getting a little louder): You don't know that they contribute to the weight of the car and when the car gets heavier, it will need more petrol to move it??

Me (trying to keep calm): Can you please tell me how heavy can tissues be? How much
weight will it amount to?????

Dad (getting louder still, which means he knows he is getting out of point but does not want to admit it): Do you know how expensive petrol is nowadays?

Me: Ya, I know. I pump petrol too, but that's not the POINT!!!! My point is how heavy can those few boxes of tissues and kitchen towels weigh?? It is not as if they are cartons. It's not going to affect the weight of the car much, let alone eat up petrol!!

Dad: They are heavy....

Me: Please call mum...I want to talk to her.

Dad (shouting at the top of his voice, refusing to hear me out or let me speak): You only....

Me: Good-bye

(I hang up)

No point talking to him when he is in that state. Mum later explained to me that he was referring to the other stuff in the boot but I think he was being ridiculous by screaming his head off over the phone like that. Besides, not all the stuff in the boot is mine.

It is also a little sad coz he is showing signs that he is getting old and stubborn and would not listen to what others have to say when he shouts like that. He has become a little unreasonable (that, sometimes, is an understatement).

Nevertheless, this has somewhat become a joke and me and my housemate cannot stop laughing about the issue of the weight of tissues.

No comments:

Post a Comment