Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Horrible Muji

Despite the fact that it is a Japanese company (who pride themselves with impeccable services and products), Muji has never had really good customer service.

This is not the first time that I am annoyed with their customer service, or lack thereof.

I was at the Paragon outlet and was happily picking up items to buy. The normal thing to do when you need to pay, is to queue up. I was in the queue but this stupid bitch who came after me, walked in front of me (there was a big gap between the queue poles and the cashier itself).

This bitch acted so bloody polite by asking this other couple whether they wanted to go first as they already had their stuff on the counter. That couple said it was ok and she went ahead!!!

Stupid staff at the cashier did not say anything and processed her payment. I was so angry I wanted to put down everything and go. There was however, a bag that I really liked and it was the last piece. I decided to queue up and give the cashier a piece of my mind.

I told the cashier that it was pointless to have a queueing system or any queue poles if the staff are not going to abide by the queueing rules. You treat the customer like stupid by making them stand there and not serve them; asking them to abide by the rules while you don't. I was so angry that I did not even reply or look at the cashier when he spewed out the whole strong of standard apologies that I really did not want to hear at that point of time.

I was angry at the staff. More so, I was angry at myself. My eyes were ready to flip and roll. I was about to spew gibberish from my mouth. I was still so angry that when I reached home, I wanted to puke. That was really bad, I know, but that was how mad I was. Why was I so bloody polite? Why was I so bloody timid and not shout at when the bitch was right in front of the cashier? Shout out that the queue is rightfully where I was standing? In this way, I could have felt better. In this way, I could have no need to scold an unnecessary person.

Actually, as a service person myself, I hold him half responsible for what had happened. He, as a staff could have been more attentive and regulated the queue. He should have been sharp enough to see who was in the queue and who was not. He should not have simply be intimidated by that bitch (according to my Spacecake, she overhead how the woman was very demanding and was being a bit difficult on staff).

I demand that level of service for I myself give that sort of service. I almost always go by queue order. There was this once, this colleague's wife wanted to cut queue (just because she could not control her son and he was running all over the library), I told her matter of factly that I was actually serving another customer and that she would have to join the queue. Only on second 'pleading' did I ask my customer for permission to serve her first.

Even then, I was really agitated. I felt there was a bit of an abuse of rights in a way. Plus the most ironical part is that her spouse was in charge of customer service in our organisation. SIGH!

I would like to think I treat all my customers equally, even the young ones. When I am at the Children's counter, an adult might come along while I am serving a young boy/girl. I will tell them nicely that I am helping them. I think it is my way of showing that they are as important as an adult and hopefully, just hopefully, in a small little, that this little gesture will stick in their minds that they should treat other people like that too. Equally.

Thinking back though, I there was really nothing to be so angry about and there are better things to be angry at. Customer service levels are just this bad that then few that are good are like treasures found. Many of my friends have resigned to fate but I just refused to take things lying down. Maybe it is time I should. Then I would be able to live longer. Hahaha!

p/s: I know some of you might have heard the story about the colleague's wife more than once but sorry, I have not blogged about it before and I wanted it to go down in Internet history (Hahaha!!). So here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment