Monday, March 24, 2008

Fine line between being attentive and being a pest

I do not know what SHATEC is teaching their students but I think there is a small issue with the service staff in the local scene.

A few months ago, I went to White Dog Cafe at Vivo City. The over-zealous staff kept coming to our table to try to clear our plates when we obviously still had food on it. I, being the ever particular customer about service, told off the staff in a nice manner not to come over again to interupt us. We will let them know when to clear the food.

Last Friday, my friends and I went to St James Powerhouse (which incidentally is opposite Vivo City) for some drinks. The wait staff came no less than 5 times to ask whether they could clear my glass. I know that they are anxious for us to buy more drinks and my drink was near empty, but I believe that there is a fine line between being attentive and just plain irritating.

I did explain to one of them on their second asking, that I still wanted the ice in the glass (had a pussy foot since I was driving and it was a Friday). They did not stop coming over.

If we have to be interrupted all the time by wait staff and having to pick up our conversations, then going to that particular place is no longer an enjoyment. If the staff were really attentive, they would have told one another not to clear that table yet or not to disturb. They should know when is a good interval to interrupt and not be like a pest.

Perhaps too, they were following textbook instructions or instructions given to them by their teachers in hotel schools or their supervisors at work. In any case, both authorities are wrong. They should be flexible enough to read signs, body signs as to when a customer would not want to be disturbed. That is no way to push sales.

I would be very put off and would leave quite quickly. I would also have this feeling that the establishment is more concerned about its sales rather than its customers and therefore, I would not stay for long.

We did leave after one round of drinks but only because we intended it to be that way. We just wanted a drink before hitting home after a movie. Ask me if I would go back there again and my answer would be that it would not be likely. Or at least, not for a very long time, just like how I would not go to White Dog Cafe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment