Saturday, March 22, 2008

Good Friday and missing a good friend

Yesterday was Good Friday. I think technically speaking, this is the second year that I am going for Good Friday service on my own. I used to meet my good friend Jen at the Novena Church and we would have a meal of thosai and vadai at Little India after mass was over. We would really be hungry by then, after all that fasting.

Through the years, we have become busy people and have stopped going out or meeting up so often. Good Friday was usually a time for catching up on our lives. Somehow or other, I become the negative end of the battery while she is the positive end. She was always giving me encouragement and positive outlooks while I poured out all my life's unhappiness (personally, I think she got tired of this after a while. She must be wondering: Why doesn't this girl get it?" Hahaha).

She was also my religious guide in that if there was anything or any celebration that I was not sure about, I could turn to her. When she left, there was a bit of a spiritual void. Luckily I found this bunch of my colleagues who are also catholics and they have helped me in a big, big way. The silliest question I have asked so far is,"The bulletin states adoration until 12 midnight. Do I have to stay for the whole length of it?".

Two years on, I still miss her terribly during Good Friday. Last year, I was bad. I got so upset that I didn't attend the Good Friday mass. I only went for Easter Sunday mass. This year, I chose to go for mass at my own parish instead and half an hour earlier to church did not get me a good parking space or a seat in church. I had to stand for the two and a half hours of service. I guess many have chosen to go for the 10.30am service so that they can have the rest of the afternoon to do their own things.

I also forgot that I had to kneel a lot. Stand and kneel, stand and kneel. That was due to the stations of the cross. Let me tell you, my back problem will not be solved till 4.15pm this afternoon when I go and see my Chinese chiropractor. Somehow though, my back miraculously did not hurt while I repeat the standing and kneeling in church. Thank God for that.

At about 3pm, it started to pour and again, my good friend Jen's words rang in my head again. She told me before that somehow, it always rains around this time on Good Friday. She also told me that this was around this time that Jesus was put on the cross (or was it the time that He died? Anyway, it is one or the other).

I miss you Jen but I am happy that you are happy where you are, overseas. I am also much more at peace with myself so don't worry about me (not that you would, really :P).

No comments:

Post a Comment