Monday, March 24, 2008

Cold storage Vs NTUC Fairprice

Cold storage and NTUC Fairprice (or NTUC for short) are both supermarkets. One traditionally caters to the slightly higher income group or foreigners while the other wreaks local flavour with value for money stuff. Why I say so is because the former has been seen as the more expensive supermarket with more foods from European countries while the latter has a lot more local and cheaper produce.

Since young, I have been expose to both, although I must say, I was more familiar with Cold Storage and Fitzpatrick Supermarket. NTUC, to me, came a little later in my childhood. I have always preferred Cold Storage to NTUC and you can call me a snob and all that. I still insist on my choice.

For one, I feel that the vegetables that they sell are fresher. NTUC food produce do not seem to last as long. I may be wrong but I am just speaking from personal experience.

For seconds, Cold Storage was the one with fresher meats and their staff where very knowledgeable about the different cuts of meat. You see, their target customers are the Caucasians,the expats and such, who want their strip loin and bacon cut perfectly well.

For thirds, I feel that Cold Storage has always had better customer service.

Why do I say so? Let me recount: On Sunday, I had half a loaf of bread left and was craving for ham. There used to be a Cold Storage near my place but seems that this is not so anymore. Left with no choice, I went to NTUC to get my meats.

I told the lady I wanted 200g of carrot roll (ham with bits of carrot in it. For those of us who are lazy on vege) and 200g of peppercorn ham. When she passed me the packet of carrot roll, it was stated 224g. I was not too happy but just took it (I will tell you why in a while).

When she passed me my peppercorn ham, I knew that had to be about only about 100g. It was too light to be 200g. True enough, it was about 126g. I then told her I wanted 200g and not 100g. Her reply in Mandarin was, "Not 100g meh?" (Rudeness number 1).

Then I told her that I wanted exact weight, no more no less (I was testing her). Her reply was, " There is no such thing as exact weight one lah. Confirm overweight one." (Rudeness number 2).

This made me boiling mad. If it were Cold Storage, this would never have happened. The staff would have asked if I had wanted a thin cut or thick cut and when it s all weighed out, she would let me know if it is over or under 200g and asked me if it was ok. They have always been like that since I was young. They would always let us know if it is a bit over and if we minded, they would remove some slices and let us know that it is a little under what we asked for.

Well, the staff at NTUC might as well have announced before talking that "this is the heartland auntie talking". It is one thing to be housewifey and all that to get to the hearts of your customers but it is another if you do not have basic knowledge of customer service.

When I reached home, I got even more pissed as I took one piece to try (was really hungry and craving for ham). The slice is so thick that in the end, I do not get many pieces out of my 200g. I guess you could also say that I am creature of habit and I really do not like to have my ham that thick.

What is more, tonight, when I had more of the ham for dinner (I only had one slice before), I broke out in hives. I am still not sure whether it was the ham or because of some other situation, but I am going to continue to observe. If I do get hives again after eating the ham, that means there is some ingredient that is not fresh or that I am allergic to. Shall not speculate too much yet but will try to post some more about it on a later date.

Moral of the story is to buy from a trusted and reliable source. Going back to Cold Storage the next time I buy ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment