Monday, March 17, 2008

Communal living and bread

Going for the retreat brought me back to communal living whereby I had to stay with two other ladies in the same room. I did not mind that at all, while some other retreatant expressed that she will definitely prefer a single room (which she got, as requested).

Communal living has brought me back to camp days. We had one big toilet whereby we had to queue up to shower and had to wake up earlier than the morning call so as to ensure that one DOES get to shower without much haste and hurry. On the first morning, I had to bathe with cold water coz the heater was not working. Other than that, it was fine.

Another thing that reminded me so much of camping life and communal living was the breakfasts that we had. It was just loaves of bread and jars of jams/kaya and better. We just spread whatever we wanted on the bread and brought the plates back to the table to eat.

The spoilt me is used to having some form of meat (like ham) on my bread but after the first bite, I felt that I was going back to the basics and I was really thankful that I had bread to eat and butter and marmalade for spread. The simplicity of the meal itself reminded me that there were kids and people out there who did not even have a decent meal to put into their mouths.

Once again, I am thankful for the food we eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment