Friday, March 28, 2008

Sad that I will be leaving

As the days past, I get more doubtful and sadder that I will soon be an outsider of the library and may no longer be called a Librarian.

Actually, it is not going to make much difference though, for the new naming norm for people like me who do not have a Masters in Library Science is "Associate Librarian". That in itself sounds like some vile tasting concoction that I find difficult to stomach. I find it a little derogatory.

Nevertheless, the organisation wants to move us towards a more professional career path and I can kind of see why they are making everyone qualified. I said this many times before and I still see it this way: I feel that I would not want to take a local degree and while it is good that they sponsor us to do the Masters programme, I do not want to be tied down. I do not want to be bonded. Just not the sort to be.

All around me, concerned friends and colleagues alike, have asked about the big pay cut if I were to become a part-timer. That really got me thinking again, but I think I would rather have my physical and mental health rather than to have to suffer this way.

Let's see how long I will be sad for and while there is this sadness about me, I am still very much looking forward to taking on new challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment