Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Jurassic Park in my house

Two nights ago. I came home to two cats becoming the owners of the house. One was sitting on the sofa quietly (Dou Dou) and the other came to greet me at the door. THEY DID IT! They managed to open the door and they were roaming freely around the house for goodness knows how long!

I went to check all the rooms and toilets. No paw prints on my bed and everything was intact. The last time he sneaked into my bedroom while my housemate mopped the floor, Mao Mao had left his mark on my bedsheets.

Alas! When I went into my bathroom, my tea lights were all over the floor. Luckily, nothing was broken. Just that it was such a mess. That night, my housemate and I decided to do the inevitable: we hooked up two handles of the doors with a string and stuck the cats' end of the door handle with sticky tape so that the ribbon would not slip off. There was no chance of them escaping out of the room now, except that we would have to 'play' zero-point and go under the ribbon every time we pass through that passage way.

My housemate saw it for the first time, how the handle is being tampered with by the cats and she felt that it was eerie for it did look like a human being was trying to open the door.

Of course, the cats did not know what we did and we went to sleep after that. Thinking that they could still 'escape', there were attempts to open the door throughout the night. As the night went by though, I could hear that the cat (specifically Mao Mao) came to this realisation that he was permanently locked in; that he could no longer open the door. I could hear his frustration in his attempts. He was getting more pissed with every failed attempt. You see, I had one too many coffees that day and was having what I call shallow sleep. I got easily woken by noises that night.

I was also quite worried about what the downstairs and perhaps the upstairs neighbours would think, when they hear all these noises in the middle of the night. They might think that we have kidnapped someone! I drifted into a slightly deeper sleep after that.

Oh yes, why did I say that my house was like a Jurassic Park. The cats would slam themselves against the door causing the walls to shake and you know that scene where the T-rex was breathing heavily behind the door before he opened it? It certainly did feel like that when these slamming sounds come in bouts.

Well, I exaggerate a little about the walls but the doors to shake and in the dead of the night, it can be quite startling.

I think they are resigned to their fate now for they no longer meow so loudly and persistently, insisting that we let them out. When the time comes, we do let them out of the room to roam. It is just that when there is little or no supervision, Mao can perform a Hurricane Katrina within the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment