Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A rojak* of events

Yesterday was a whole mumble jumble of events. First I had a bad craving for Subway (yes, again. Just had my last sub last Saturday) and then, as I turned into the slip road near my house, I went to bang on this taxi, who was so slow in moving out (OK, OK, it is also my fault coz I should have looked and been more careful). Then, even before I could sink my teeth into the 6 inch classic trio cold cuts sub, my agent calls me to tell me some news about the house.

Luckily for me, I was not travelling at high speed. The only thing damaged was my car number plate. It had cracks. I am so thankful. What I am not happy about is the taxi driver who was so ya-ya-papaya (local term for proud, snobbish). He made this comment about how normally it is he who knocks into other people and not the other way around.

His bumper had NOTHING! No scratch, no dent, no nothing! Yet he wanted me to leave my I/C number (identification card number) and he also wrote down my car plate number. He told me "who knows what will happen tomorrow? I need to bring it to the workshop!"

In my heart I was thinking, "workshop my #ss!" What could possibly happen? There wasn't even the slightest crack on his bumper! He was being ridiculous.

While he used pen and paper, I used my hand phone camera to take picture of his car plate number and my car. I was fuming mad, at myself and at the taxi driver for being so arrogant and...'ya-ya-papaya'. The paranoid me was also afraid that he must use my I/C number to do bad stuff like borrowing money from 'Ah Long" (loan sharks). One of my colleague's son got his I/C stolen at the army camp once and the next thing he knows, 'Ah Longs' were knocking on their door to ask them to pay them back the money, which they themselves did not borrow in the first place.

Haha! Mum told me later that I was being silly, which I admit, I was.

In the semi-darkness of the street lamp, I could not see any damage on my car, but when I pulled into the parking lot and bent down to look, there they were. The cracks on the number plate. Heart pain.

Nevertheless, I am thankful to God that nothing happened to me and that nothing majorly bad happened to the car.

I just took my second bite of my sub when my property agent called and told me that I have a deal and that he was going to collect the initial deposit tomorrow (which is today). I am still praying very hard for the previous times, the potential buyers back out last minute. It gets quite depressing. Mum was very encouraging. She told me that the house will be sold. Just a matter of when and that I should be patient. That's kind of true.

Meanwhile, I can only continue praying.

* Rojak is your Asian version of a salad with prawn pasty (blackish looking) sauce, which I like to call goo.

No comments:

Post a Comment