Thursday, May 22, 2008

An honest day's work

Four nights ago, as I walked away from my parked car to feed the cats, an Indian/ Ceylonese man asked me if I wanted to wash my car. He was already finishing up with another car. As I shook my head and said no, he shouted after me "$3. $3 only."

I just walked away.

I felt very guilty after that.I felt that he was an honest man, earning an honest living. At least he did not steal or kill. At least, I think, he did not do anything wrong at all.

It was just me, who is so used to shaking my head and walking by quickly, that I failed to see that sincerity and honesty in him. I know humans like to play the blame game and so, here I am, playing one of my own. I blame it on those insurance agents having roadshows, the people trying to solicit for surveys and those trying to get you to sign up for credit cards.

They have conditioned me to shake my head 'vehemently' whenever I see a stranger approaching me.

The next time someone asks me if I want to wash my car, I will stop, think, before I give my reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment