Friday, December 14, 2007

Thankful

Just the other day, I was home alone eating a bowl of "Mee Hoon Kuay".

Suddenly, a whole bunch of emotions welled up in me. I started getting emotional (what's new?).

I was thankful that I had a bowl of food to eat.

I was thankful that the bowl of noodles cost so cheap, when all around me, prices of food and drinks have been going up in the name of inflation.

I was thankful that the auntie who cooked my food, cooked it with all her heart and even though she was old, used all her strength to painstaking pour my noodles into the plastic container.

I was thankful, that I am still alive to savour such simple and yet such good food.

It must be the Christmas season that had gotten me into such a reflective mood.

I just want to be thankful with all I have now and not grumble about what I don't. This festive season, I am not going to forget that somewhere out there, some child has got nothing to eat, no proper clothes to wear and living in a totally different sort of world, where the word childhood may not even exist; where beggging is called having a job and being sold off for prostitution is a way of life.

I want to be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment