Wednesday, December 5, 2007

If ever there was OCD in minding people's Ps & Qs

I am just coining this term loosely, but if ever there was such a symptom in OCD (obsessive compulsive behaviour), I would be diagnosed with it.

Why? I cannot stop spotting strangers' unacceptable behaviour while I am out and about. If you have read my previous postings, you would have known that I dislike people who cut their nails in public. I also do not like people who are constantly touching and flicking their hair about in public. Who knows what kind of organisms live in their hair??

I cannot stand drivers who do not signal before they switch lanes and I hate it when kids do not give up their seats for older folks, be it on the bus or the MRT. I have this bad urge to go tell them off, except that I risk getting stared at by their parents (who do not, by the way, lead by example) and worse, get into a squabble.

I cannot stand people, men in particular, who do not understand what is personal space and social distance and stand too close till they are breathing down my neck. There are also those (men) who sit on the MRT seat spread eagle style, thinking that they are showing off their crowning glory down there. Or did they think it was that big in the first place that it needed so much space? There are still those, who prop their legs up on the other (no prizes for guessing which gender) and think that they are sitting with a cool pose, when in actual fact, the whiff of smelly shoes are quite unbearable and too in-the-face for those standing nearby.

I cannot stand people who do not know the logic that one needs to let people out so that they themselves can get in. This happens at entrances to lifts and to MRT trains. Even before one go move out, people start pushing you in. There are also those who cannot read arrows and stand right there blocking the entrance to the train doors.

I cannot stand that people do not stand on the left side of the escalators (or right, depending on which country) so that people in a hurry can pass through.

I cannot stand that people cough/ sneeze/ yawn without covering their mouth. After SARS, this simple action seems even more necessary.

Well, I guess there are too many things out there in the world for me to dislike and hate and I can only do so much as a nobody-citizen of the world. I can only shake my head, laugh about the whole absurdity of it all and blog it down to say my peace and for future laughter! :P It also goes to show, once again, that I am stickler for rules and I need to lighten up a little!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I hate those peeps who rush to get in and block people from getting out.

    Nowadays I just stare at those closest to the doors outside in the eyes and "challenge" them to a shoving match, haha.

    Seems like you're a colleague. Found your site while doing a post for EP blog. Nice to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PK,

    Nowadays, my weapon is my sharp-edged paper bag. Once I fold my arms to protect myself, I charge. Good luck to whoever hits it coz sometimes these edges can be quite sharp.

    I think we are indeed colleagues. Although I mistook you for another friend of mine who had the same initials.

    Nice to meet you too. Unfortunately, searched for your HR 'mug shot' in vain. Oh, please read all posts with a pinch of salt as it is really just that:much ado about nothing.

    Cheers:)

    ReplyDelete