Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Jewellery-making class and my working style

I was really excited and anxious this morning as I was going for a jewellery-making class that was company-sponsored. We were supposed to learn about team-building.

Excited because I will be making a piece of my own necklace. Anxious because I was not sure where the place was and an email was sent out last week to remind us not to be late.

All went well: Found the place and was on time, learnt how to make necklace and was happily threading the semi-precious stones together when the guy who was at first sitting at the so-called reception area, came into the classroom to 'help'.

He zero-ed in on me and started teaching me how to choose the stones, which ones I should thread, etc, etc. Me sensed nervous vibes from him and I got even more nervous (bad habit of being affected by other people's vibes).

I was getting frustrated as I could not get both sides of the necklace to balance and irritated at the same time as Michael (as I later heard the main instructor call him) kept telling me what to do!!

Fluster and frustration degree 1: Decided to up and go toilet. Was urgent anyway. Very urgent. Nervousness did not help. Hope he gets the hint and move on to someone else.

Came back and Michael still continued to 'help' me! He kind of moved on to someone else but then came to stand in front of the class, facing me. I could still see him!! After a while, he came back to instruct me again.

Fluster and frustration degree 100: I told him to back off in the nicest way I could. I actually wanted to SCREAM at him, but decided to smile a very BIG smile instead.

Oh, don't get me wrong. The sort of nervousness and flustered-ness (if there was ever such a word) was because he was so over eager to instruct and not because he was cute. He was far from it.

It was then that I realised that I am also like that at work. I hate people breathing down my neck every 5 seconds, telling me what to do or asking me whether I have finished this and that or not (even though the favour was asked all of 5 minutes ago). I will just blow!!

The parallelism is quite scary, but quite amusing at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment