Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The roasted meat seller at Lo Wu

Remember the salt-baked chicken seller? He also sells roasted ducks and pork meat too. I have heard many stories about Shenzhen and Lo Wu; that it was very dangerous, there many pickpockets, etc, etc.

This man though, he comes across as very sincere and honest with us. Perhaps it was because he was going to close shop for the day and wanted to sell off all his meats (he sold us the chicken for RMB$28 instead of $30) and gave us a huge packet of rice, so much so that me and my aunt had to share. It was more his attitude that struck me.

His attitude made me feel like he wants to earnestly and honestly earn a living, that he was working very hard because the shop is his life. Maybe he does not really think like that, but my impression at that moment, was simply like that.

There was another lady who was helping him pack the food. She was not young, probably late 30s or early 40s, but she was definitely younger than the roast meat seller. She looked good for her age. She looked like the sort who controlled the money in the household and I presumed that she was his wife.

Despite her looking like the controlling type, the roast meat seller did not seem displeased with her or irritated by her (as with some men who do not like to be controlled). He seemed contented to let her be at the helm. She was not overbearing either. They worked well together.

Seeing this, I feel contented for them. I felt that perhaps, it was enough just living like that. Working hard all day and have someone to go back with at the end of the day. Then again, I imagine too much. Maybe life for them is not that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment