Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Day 1: Singapore to Macau

I flew Jetstar Airlines to Macau. They have only started this route recently. It used to be the exclusive route (in terms of budget airlines) for Tiger Airways.

Never have I met such obnoxious people while travelling on the plane. I just settled myself down when this bunch of guys came on board the plane. I knew their purpose was to go gambling in Macau. They have the word "gambler" stamped on their forehead. No, it was more like their behaviour which gave them away and they were speaking in Hokkien.

They were ok for the first (small teeny weeny) part of the journey, but after they have taken their food, they started chit chatting. Or rather, they were shouting across to one another.

You see, there were four of them seated in a row, AB and DE. These fellas had it good. Three seats or two persons. I mentally called them Hokkien Ah Beng monkeys because they could not stop chatting. They only spoke in Hokkien and they talked like they wanted the whole world to know what they were up to.

First, they were splitting up Macanese money (money from Macau) among themselves. One of them must have changed money for all of them and they were splitting it up in the plane!! Any money splitting that I ever did was within the four walls of the hotel room. Was taught never to 'flaunt' money like that.

Next, they were announcing to the whole world (more like everyone on board) the maximum amount they were going to gamble. One of them kept asking,"$2000...$2000, ah? Sure $2000 ah?"

Another guy was so impatient to get his hands on gambling chips that he kept asking whether they have reached Macau or not and why did it take so long? Don't you think they behaved like childen??

All this time, everyone around them (including myself, who was woefully seated in front of them) were trying to sleep. Everyone was too polite and civilised to complain though. I, did not want a bad start to my holiday and so decided to keep quiet. I could not stop complaining to my Dad though, who reasoned with me that there are all sorts that make up this world and upbringing plays a big part.

That night, we stayed at Pousada Marina Infante at Taipa island.

No comments:

Post a Comment