Monday, February 11, 2008

I think I can like cats

Yesterday, when I returned home from work, my housemate's cat was at the door to greet me. He has not seen me for quite a long time (over the CNY period). He was meowing really enthusiastically.

I used to think that I was no cat lover and that I was more impartial to cats, but this cat has made me re-consider my relationship with them. To me, Mao Mao is a very special cat in that it actually talks back to you and he really understands what we humans are talking about.

You see, last night, I suggested to my housemate that I should start putting food into their bowl so that I can get used to feeding them. Immediately after I said that, Mao Mao came to me and kept rubbing his head affectionately on my shin. I think he understood that I would be the food provider for the night and he needed to win my favour. How cute!

Apparently, Mao Mao meows at people who use my toilet too! It is as if he is protesting and telling them that they are trespassing and that they should get out immediately. Hahahaha!

I also think that he sensed that I had a long and tiring day at work and he lay there so contently on the sofa to let me sayang (to love in Malay, but actually I was just stroking him).

There is of course another cat around the house, but he is too weary of us humans that he would scutter off to his room at the flick of a pinky. The only word that he would respond to is "mum-mum" which is 'to eat' in kid-speak. At that very word, he would meow back at you and wait expectantly. It has become a great teaser as we can do little else to interact with him.

Yes, cats may not respond as readily as dogs and they may not be able to do that many tricks, but they still offer loads of selfless love that sometimes even we human beings are not capable of giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment