Tuesday, February 26, 2008

MRT sighting: 1

This is not a posting of the paranormal. It is just plain old ramblings about what I encounter everyday on the train, on my way to work.

I was appalled today coz I saw this old man board the train and nobody, and I mean NOBODY stood up!! The men were either sleeping or reading their newspapers. I could not stop staring at this young man who looked too fit to be sitting down.

The ladies, I would excuse a little. First of all, they are my kind and secondly, some of them are in heels. I know what i is like to be in heels and standing-painful.

I coud not take it anymore. I asked the old man if he needed to sit down and he said "never mind". Guess what??????? Nobody, absolutely NOBODY budged!!!!!!!!

I mentally slapped each and everyone of them on the head ala Ally McBeal. Even though my friends and I discuss about how Singaporeans are all like that and we are not supposed to be surprised by this type of attitude, I still AM...appalled.

Usually, someone would stand up, albeit reluctantly. This time, nobody did! They did not even try. It was only at the next stop that someone was getting off that the old man got a seat. To me, that is no longer respecting the old. It was more sort of a by-the-way sort of gesture, which I still find unacceptable.

I sms-ed my housemate and she could only go "Aiyo...tsk,tsk,tsk!"

I made a mental note to myself that what goes around comes around. If I did not want to be treated this way, I better lead by example.

No comments:

Post a Comment