Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Day 3: Shenzhen-Zhuhai-Macau / Part 2

After breakfast, we entered Lo Wu Commercial Centre again. I HAD to buy me a pair of boots! Halfway to my destination, my Dad and aunt decided to follow this manicure lady to look for VCDs and DVDs!!!

I was furious! Not because of the detour but for simply following a stranger like that. What if they were up to no good? What if something bad happens to us and we kena (Malay word that is loosely translated to mean "get")harmed? I followed anyway as there was nowhere else for me to go.

We were led to this shop where there wer clothes hung up for sale. Facing inwards though, there was a computer and that was where they showed us the VCDs and DVDs that they had.

Even though they were selling illegal stuff, they were very earnest and sincere in trying to help my Dad find the titles he wanted (but of course, they cannot be compared to roast meat seller).

Alas that the titles that my Dad was looking for were either too old or too arty-farty for these youngsters to know. Halfway through searching the titles on the computer, someone comes in to tell shop owner in a stifled tone that the officer was coming.

Even though I do not approve of the way they are doing business, I must admire them for their business sense and their will to find more money to make a living.

In the end Dad did not buy any coz it was way too expensive. They offered RMB$110 for one disc when he could get it at a shop at Zhuhai for RMB$12. That shop is the real deal, selling CDs, VCDs and DVDs.

After that, we headed to my shoe shop. That in itself was another episode of mini drama. I was just looking at some boots when the salesgirl came over to offer some help. My help, I think still angry at the fact that he was not able to get what he want barked at her to "let her choose what she wants. She will see for herself".

Even I got a shock when he said that. He was quite curt and fierce and usually, I am the one who is capable of such comments and would be reprimanded afterwards for being so rude. Haha...

Next, Dad thought we could go for the kill and bargain for the super lowest of prices. From RMB$79 a pair of boots, he asked me to bargain for RMB$60 for both pairs (I was looking at two). Personally, I thought that was ridiculous, but I did anyway. If I didn't, he would give me one of those I-told-you-so lectures later on.

This time, it was the other salesgirl in the shop who barked back at us. She said it so fast and furiously that I could only get the gist of what was said. In summary she meant that even her normal shoes are sold at RMB$59 and these are all clearing stock prices. Normally the shoes don't even go so low and yet, we still want to bargain. There is no way for us to bargain, but her last words were to sell us for RMB$60 for each pair of boots.

Both Dad and aunt said almost simultaneously that I should walk out and not buy since she is so hot-tempered and proud. They took offense at what she said and Dad wanted to play the "I will walk away so that you will relent and give me a cheaper price" game.

I was just tired of walking around. I did not want to go anywhere else. You see, this was the shop that me and my colleagues went to when we first visited Shenzhen and I find them quite reliable. Told Dad that I am not leaving and I trust this shop better than the others.

After I agreed to buy, the original salesgirl who served me (the one who got barked at by my Dad) asked if I wanted to try both sides of the shoes. She very nicely asked another boy to get me both sides of the shoes. The one who barked at us, she was serving some Thai ladies who have come in a big group and seem to be going to spend a lot.

To tell you truth, I felt like shit coz I don't think we left a very good impression (Dad was speaking to me in English when we were wondering how much to bargain for). The salesgirl who barked at us also made me feel like we were misers (especially after the Thai ladies came in) and I therefore understand why my Dad was not willing to buy from that shop. Her attitude did change a little though after she calmed down.

My Dad was still complaining on the way out of the shop when I reasoned with him that one can never get a pair of boots fo SGD$12 back home (even though it might not be real leather)and I personally thought that she was simply being reactive to what my Dad did to her colleague.

No comments:

Post a Comment