Thursday, September 18, 2008

A visit to the doctor. Finally.

Woah! Never felt so impatient in my life. Usually, when I go to my GP, I would be very patient, knowing that she painstakingly explains to her patients, detail by detail. Maybe it's because I met with boo-boo this morning and so I was rather frustrated at having to wait much longer.

The first patient took a good half an hour before she emerged from the room. The second patient, a man, was already very impatient while waiting. He was pacing back and forth, flipping through magazines without really reading them and fiddling with his handphone, trying to look busy. Maybe HE made me irritated.

He took another half an hour or so. For an impatient man, that was certainly a long time! It was as if he was trying to outdo the previous patient, trying to make sure he gets his money's worth from by stretching his consultation time.

I was cheesed off. I was sick (still am) with my sinuses all blocked up and this intermittent itchy throat that threatens to itch and cough at the most unlikely of times, making me real embarrassed.

Well, by the time got to see the doc, she told me that I have caught the micro plasma virus, the virus that the other doc behind my house was warning me about. He had told me that the kids are having it but he did not diagnose me as a carrier??!

My doc told me if I delayed treatment some more, I might have gotten pneumonia. Scary. Plus, when I told her I was prescribed oral steroids of sorts (not the first time since I have bronchitis and asthma history), she told me that it is less harmful inhale than to have oral steroids.

Personally, I think both are no good but I guess it is a case of 'no choice'. No wonder I have been getting palpitations as the oral steroids gives me that. It was terrible. I was walking uphill and felt like I could not breathe properly and was going to die!! That was the other thing that the other doc behind my house did not tell me. It was not the first time I was taking that particular medicine, but I think it's a doc's duty to repeat every time they prescribe.

I am back on the inhaler and no, it is not Ventolin. It is Symbicort and it is NOT cheap. Burnt a big hole in me pocket.

Anyhow, doc' orders are to stay at home to rest for the rest of the week and if I do not recover by next week (still feeling out of breath) then I have to go back to her again. This time, I better either see the time properly or call first to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment