Saturday, September 13, 2008

Got to have more gumption

Even though I am already so old (not revealing OK? Only friends know how old), I still had to ask my Dad about things, especially things pertaining to the English language. I would hate for the day when I can no longer ask him any more such questions, but that is another story altogether.

I was angry with myself this morning. I had wanted to split the profit from the house 70& (my share) to 30% (his share) but I had let him argue his way out of it and had to settle for 50-50. This is not an isolated case. Another very recent incident with another friend made me feel that I back down too easily and I really do not know the art of arguing and standing up for myself.

No gumption. That was the word I had to ask Dad. I had to make sure I had the meaning right. He told me that it is like not having guts. Yes, all my life I think I have been bending over backwards for people (a lot, I think) and I never really know how to say no. In the end, I end up getting hurt, whether by boys or girls, or in my case, men or women.

Well, as I was still boiling over the matter, my Dad told me to let it go as there are too many things to worry and be angry about and what is done is done. Life is too short to be angry with so many things. Of course, he had to add that I should have discussed it way before we sold the house, yada, yada, yada....

Well, while I try to figure out where to find some gumption in me, I shall try my best to be who am I now and who I am going to be. After all, as I learnt many years from Sesame Street or one of those children's programmes, "It's no use crying over spilt milk".

No comments:

Post a Comment