Saturday, June 14, 2008

Children: Angels or devils?

Children. You never really think too much about them until you come into contact with them. For my case though, it was more like, I thought I knew a lot already about them and then I find that I discover lots more about them with each and every growing day.

My new job (although I really should not be talking too much about it) has allowed me to do things that I would usually do before. When I first heard that there was such a thing as bath time and nap time, I did an Ally McBeal roll eyes. Bathe them? you mean literally bathe them?? My mind went into panic mode.

Turns out my kids are already bath trained and can do so themselves. Phew! The only thing is that the boys like to play with water and I would have to check in on them once in while. You know, even at 6 years old, these boys know what it is like to be shy. Kekeke.... What I do is to make a quick entrance and exit so that they do not feel so immobilised by my presence.

Then there was nap time. All my life (I mean when I was young), I was patted by mum to sleep. Never have I patted anyone else as I do not have any younger siblings. This time round, I need to pat some of my kids to sleep. This was quite some experience.

I observed from the way that they lay out their mattresses, how needy or insecure a child is. They would need bolsters and even a stuffed toy and usually, they need to be patted to sleep. These are also usually the 'naughty' ones. I really feel for these kids for I think they pine and crave lots of attention from their parents and because they are not getting enough of it, they act up in their daily lives. They are the ones that need more love and care.

The kids are still feeling the lost of their teacher, who have been with them since they were 3 years old. The boys express it through their actions. They become a little rebellious. The girls are the one who can verbalise it and tell me that they miss their teacher. Different development stages and different ways of expressing.

At this point of time, I can only say that I am blessed with pretty well-behaved children. I am only hoping that I will be able to control them when I start teaching, formerly. They still see me as the lady who owns all those books. Hahaha! Sweet! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment