Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Shakespeare in love

Two times today and one time yesterday. That was the number of times that I heard this song (Shakespeare in love)within 2 days, and all on different radio channels. First at 88.3FM and then at Yes 9.33 FM and then on Class 95.0 FM. The funny part is that the first two are Chinese radio stations (not really for 88.3 coz they now play a mixture of both English and Chinese songs).

Why the overkill? Because today marks the death of William Shakespeare and I think that is one of the few songs that has the actual word "Shakespeare" in it. It is actually quite a catchy tune except when you hear it almost consecutively in one morning.

It just made me realise (even more) that information and the acquiring of knowledge can be from anywhere, even on radio stations. It is just whether we want to learn or not. Listening to the DJs talk about Shakespeare also reminded me of my Secondary school days whereby we had to study Romeo and Juliet and later on, my Pre-university days, where I studied Hamlet.

Did not like Hamlet and found it painful for we had to do so much critical thinking and try to smoke our way through (at a higher level) as to what Shakespeare was thinking when he wrote that or what the characters were actually thinking. Found it so tough. Of course, I am sure, my Lit-loving friend and her bf would beg to defer (heehee!)

I think for now, I would leave all that Shakespearean reading aside and leave it for a time when I can actually sit down, relax and really read. Digest and understand.

Oh, but I do remember this: "...be but sworn my love and I will no longer be a Capulet"

This then leads me to another song that starts with the lyrics "Montague and Capulets / Whispered through the wall / words which they could not forget, after all."

It is the song by Wilson Phillips called "Next to you (someday I'll be)". Aah...the memories. I am going to play that album again tonight. Loved it so much that I bought the CD format (had the cassette tape first).

2 comments:

  1. Heya girl... I'm back!

    And of course not, Shakespeare is over-rated dear. I won't begrudge you your stand on it. =)

    Anyway, hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weee.....you are back!!! Hope you enjoyed yourselves :) I am feeling better in one sense but not so ok in another. Read on as I may just reveal why. If not, will tell you in person :)

    ReplyDelete