Friday, April 11, 2008

How has the computer and other products ruled our lives?

I could go on and on about how it is dominating our lives now, but I am just going to touch on one word that we use so much when we turn on our computers: filing.

It seems that no matter what it is now, everything is to be "filed". One patron actually walked up to me and asked me, "How do you actually file your books? Sometimes it is filed here, sometimes it is filed there, I am very confused."

Erm, for your information, books cannot be filed as they are too huge/thick to be put into a file and stored away in cabinets. They are hard copies and therefore not able to be stored in a computer system.

Anal me was mentally correcting the word and thinking that it should be "shelved" or "categorised" that should be used. I was a little unsure as to whether she said "found" or "filed" at first, but after repeating so many times, I was quite sure it was the latter.

This brings me back to another incident I had in another life when I was a wait staff at a particular country club which has since changed its name. One member wanted to order nuggets for his kids. He asked me, "Do you have McNuggets?"

To which I asked in return,"You mean chicken nuggets?"

"Ya lah! McNuggets! Do you have McNuggets?!"

"Yes we have chicken nuggets, sir. Would you like to order a serving of that?"

"Yes, one McNuggets and one hot dog..." the member rattles on.

I doubt that the poor fella realises his mistake, or how sold he is by the idea of MacDonald's nuggets. These are just terms coined by marketing teams and it just goes to show how successful they are in marketing the product when people use it in replacement of the actual names.

Which brings me to yet another incident whereby my American teacher did not know what tissue paper was when my classmate asked for one during an examination. After clarifying her question twice, the Accounting teacher actually exclaimed, "Oh! You mean Kleenex!"

The I.T people built computers as perhaps a part of their great inventions. I wonder if they ever did think that their product would one day be so massive that "google" can replace the word "search". Or maybe they did. Maybe they set out to conquer the world. Hahahaha... .

p/s: Don't think I am far wrong because the Internet (APA Net) was first set up by US Military people. Oh, and recently upon watching Terminator again, one of the episodes seems to draw parallelism to how the Internet started. Sky Net = APA Net?

No comments:

Post a Comment