Monday, April 28, 2008

Sc-hairy experience

Just had my hair done today. Colour, that is.I could not take it anymore. The stray strands of white hair peeping out from no where and everywhere.

I so love to go to my hairdresser. He is a bit of a personal psychologist. Not that he advises a lot but he relieves tension by listening to my grouses. By now, we are like chummy old friends as I have been going to him for more than a year now.

This time, the complaint is again on the colourist/shampoo girl. She is a nice girl but somehow, I just cannot help but find her a wee bit on the irritating side. First of all, she does not have much strength when massaging my head. This I do not blame her for it is 4pm in the day and by then, she would have had washed many heads before.

However, she seems to have lots of strength when it comes to tugging and pulling. I do not know how many times I silently said "Ouch!" while my hair was merciless pulled. Sometimes, (I feel) almost from my scalp.

It was really ironical for while she was colouring my hair, she could not stop saying, "Tsk, tsk, tsk, ....aiyo....Soooooo many white hairs!"

This was repeated several times until I got a little fed up and said politely that if I did not have so much white hair, I would not come to colour it. She did not stop. She continued with her disbelief. Then I told her slightly more bluntly that if I did not come and colour my hair, then she would not have business already. It is for such precise reason that I am here at the hairdresser's letting a colourist do her job. That's when she stopped.

Then, she started 'selling' stuff:

Colourist: You don't use colour shampoo ah? (In a little bit of accusing and auntie tone)

Me: No, I have my own shampoo.

Colourist: You wash your hair everyday and you don't use colour shampoo ah? (in 'kap-poh'* manner).

Me: No I don't...

Colourist (in an even louder tone): You should use the colour shampoo after you use your normal shampoo mah!

Me: I already wash my hair everyday and you still want me to use colour shampoo after that? You want me to deplete all my natural oils from my scalp ah?

Colourist: No, no...I am saying you can actually use your normal shampoo one day and then the colour shampoo on another....

Me: I already have 2 bottles of different shampoo already...Desmond (my hairdresser) recommended me the last time...

Colourist: What type of shampoo?

Me: I don't know. I left it for him to decide which shampoos are the best for my hair. Don't think I need to buy anymore.

Colourist: Ooooh! No lah, as a colourist, it's my job to recommend things suitable for you mah!

She was talking real loud coz the big boss was just one chair away. I think she was letting him know that she was doing her job. Actually they are quite poor thing too coz I can feel the whole atmosphere change when their boss is around.

However, I really hate this kind of selling. The other colourist girl is much sweeter and less auntie (when she talks). She is not pushy either. I am sorry but I prefer that girl.

After that, Joan (not her real name) made 2 other boo-boos. She didn't know when to stop talking. It was time for her to highlight my hair and I had a copy of Elle magazine on hand and she started asking me if I was OK and that the worst thing to happen if we had nothing in common to talk about (???). She started going on and on about having just pulled out her wisdom teeth. Well thankfully my housemate just did hers and so we could talk about it. If not, I would have been dumbfounded for a large part of the conversation.

I would call her the complainer-nagger for, like my white hair, she could not stop harping about the fact that it was really expensive and really painful, etc, etc. Me, I just wanted to continue reading my article on going green by Nadia Hutagalung. I tried to hint that to her by looking back at my magazine several times, but obviously, she did not get it.

Then she was blow-drying my hair so that my hairdresser could trim my fringe later. She kept finger-combing my fringe down from the top and shaking it like some shaggy dog till it was poking my eyes and face. Not funny.

What was worse was that I was trying to read!!!! I don't know whether she did that on purpose or not, but I didn't like it. I quickly swept the fringe out of my face and rubbed it a few times to show my displeasure.

Really, I have not met someone as clueless as her. I must remind myself to visit my hairdresser's on a Thursday and not a Monday, so that I can avoid Joan. Oh, and my hairdresser is from Reds at Tampines Mall. Without using my hair as a gauge, he is really good. Me, I am just lazy to style and sometimes I feel I put his work to shame. Heehee... .

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain but on another note, I got my hair cut today too! Was thinking of highlighting it. Haha

    ReplyDelete