Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Why Bedok must never have a shopping mall

One of my colleagues, who live in Bedok, was lamenting how Bedok should have a shopping mall built already. There is so much space and so many stores and yet, no mall. The nearest mall would most probably be Parkway Parade, which I must admit, is not too convenient at all.

Well, my theory to her that it must NEVER have a mall. Bedok is one of the cheapest place to eat and shop in the whole of Singapore (at least to me). Once they build a mall, food prices will go up (not that it has not already gone up. I am seeing my first $3 a bowl of noodles. It will go up some more). Car park charges will go up and groceries will also go up.

As it is, Bedok prides itself as a place where one can get value for money bargains. People take buses with hands full of Sheng Siong Supermarket plastic bags coz stuff there is just so dirt cheap.

No doubt that it is already a very mature neighboughood/housing estate but with all that tearing down and refurbishments going on island-wide, it will be in no time that this old charm will be gone.

Yes, it will take me twice as long to walk from one end of Bedok central to the other. Yes, we do not have air-conditioned bus interchange, but I would rather this than contribute to global warming. I would rather this than having to pay through my noise for basic things such as a bowl of noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment