Thursday, January 17, 2008

To blog or not to blog? That is the question

As I am exploring this new world of blogging (and getting very addicted to it), I realised I am torn between the dichotomy of freedom of speech/thought and self regulation.

Blogging sort of started as a form of personal online diary, where one could air their personal views about situations and matters that they face everyday. Blogs of today however, have evolved into many other things other than just an account of day to day happenings. It has become an information centre for some and marketing tools for others.

Rather than having freedom of speech/thought, I find that one has to be even more careful of one's subject matter, language used and how one 'angles' one's views.

If we talk about work, how are we going to 'angle' it in such a way, that we show maturity and responsibility for whatever we are talkign about (work, that is)?

If we are talking about politics, how are we going to 'angle' it in such a way that we do not get into trouble with the law and yet, get our views across?

There are some netizens out there, who obviously do not care for such rules. They continue to say what they want. They have exercised their freedom of choice. I salute their bravado.

On the one hand, as I blog on, I have become more conscious of what I blog about. As much as I feel like saying "I don't care", the policewoman* in me feels that I need to regulate myself.

On the other hand though, it is kind of sad, for then, the blog is no longer a true representation of one's thoughts and feelings towards person(s) or situation(s).

Well, I will try to stay true to myself on this blog of mine. If I am not able to, I think I would rather not blog about it.

*My dad said on several occasions that I must have been a policewoman in one my past lives. This is because I am such a stickler for rules and laws. I even reprimand him for jaywalking :P This imagery has kind of stuck in my head and it has also reminded me to lighten up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment