Friday, January 4, 2008

What's wrong with re-visiting a place more than once?

Just a few days back, one colleague commented on how 'interesting' I was (she did not say weird but it was kinda written over her face)for wanting to visit a country more than once.

She cannot fathom why I would waste my time and energy, when I could save up to go somewhere else. To her, it is a complete waste of time and completely un-necessary. You see, I was planning to go Hong Kong or Macau again.

For me, it is different. I feel that no place is the same with every single visit and that there are always new things to see. New things plus a tinge of familiarity works well with me. I hate being in a strange place on my own (not that I ever really travelled alone, except for Melbourne 2 years back).

Yes, I could try Vietnam or Cambodia, but I think I need to be mentally prepared for that. If it were a short trip like this upcoming one, I would want to go somewhere where I know where to get my stuff. I would not want to waste time.

If it were really Vietnam or Cambodia that I was going, I would want at least 5 days and not just 3 or 4. I guess I move to a different beat to others. Always one or two steps behind, but always savouring what I see and have along the way.

2 comments:

  1. No, no, it wasn't you. It was someone else from my region. Talk quite a fair bit about travels with this person.

    ReplyDelete