Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Comfort food

My own equivalent of pasta for comfort food, has to be the economic fried bee hoon that I eat almost every morning. I used to have variations: bread, MacDonald's, Burger King. Nowadays though, I find I cannot do without the very simple, yet tasty fried bee hoon.

Why is it economic? I do not know. It used to be that it was cheaper to eat this in a hawker centre than say, if one were to order something else I guess. Nowadays though, hawker food has rocketed sky high in the name of inflation (or is it?)

Anyway, the store I visit is super dirt cheap, at $1.70 for vegetables and luncheon meat or egg. Of course, if you decided to choose chicken chop of ngo hiang (minced pork wrapped in beancurd skin), it would be about $2. Even so, it is still considered cheap. In fact, I personally declare that it is the cheapest bee hoon in Singapore!

This store is situated at Bedok Central and it only sells bee hoon for breakfast. Come afternoon, they start selling roasted duck and roasted meat rice. It is a kind of time sharing thingy that is common here. Sometimes, the hawker does not want to tire himself/herself out by working all day or the food that they sell may be more suitable for lunch onwards. They then sub-let the store out for others to sell other types of food that is suitable for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment