Wednesday, January 2, 2008

MLM on New Year's Eve

On New Year's Eve, I was happily celebrating with my friends at a bar when my Dad called at one something in the morning.

"First of all, happy new year", said my Dad.

"Happy new year to you too!", said I.

"Eh, do you know that you dropped a stack of your name cards at Toa Payoh Central?", asked my dad.

"Huh?"

"Ya, this woman called Mary just rang us up and said you dropped your name cards there and if you need it back to sms her." Dad continued.

"Ok dad, the only name cards that I have are those from office. They most definitely do not have my home phone number. The only other form of contact I have are those in sticker form with cutsy prints on it. They do not have my home phone number printed on it. This is not important, so we will discuss this tomorrow."

I am SOOOOO angry! I found out from my friend that this is the doing of MLM (multi-level marketing) people. They will call at weird hours and ask you to drop by their office to pick your namecard etc and do a survey at the same time.

I have met with another such similar situation before. I was happily walking down City Link Mall when out of the blue, this woman shouted out "long time no see! How are you now? Where are you working?"

I kind of just started work and was quite naive. I actually thought it was someone I knew (but forgot who they were) and gave her my contact number. I am not going to be fooled again this time!

What I was angriest with was that the woman had the cheek to lie through her teeth to a person who was so vulnerable: my DAD! Plus, I was angry that my dad actually went to believe this woman and was chiding me over the phone, on a new year's day morning, on why I was so careless.

Well, at least mum was smarter. When I spoke to her the next day, she felt that it was a scam too, as this person called so late.

No comments:

Post a Comment