Sunday, January 18, 2009

Something on the back of my mind

Speaking about being smoke-free, I was just real glad that most of Singapore is now smoke-free and I have been wanting to blog about this. If I didn't I think my brains will burst.

When I went to Hong Kong, it was totally unbearable when I got smoke blown into my face while crossing the roads. It did not help that the wind was helping the smoke a lot to blow towards my direction. At least I do not have to worry about that when I am back home.

The National Environment Agency (NEA) just rolled out new areas of forbidden smoking areas. It is disturbing though that some places are still not adhering to the rules strictly.

Was at Orchard Cineleisure and was walking towards HMV at The Heeren when I was greeted with smoke. You guessed it, I hate that smoke on my face. It actually irritates my nose. It is funny though for I have smoking friends. I guess they take all precautions not to blow it in their friends' face (in this case, me) and it all ends up on somebody else's. Yes, that is what must be happening to me now.

Back to Orchard Cineleisure: I could see that most of the smokers have gone from smoking right in front of the entrance to the flowerbed nearer Gloria Jean's Coffee (poor patrons of GJ). There were still some who were too close for comfort though and the security guard was just standing inside staring at nothing in particular, doing nothing.

I am a little worried, for these smokers look young. Or maybe they are already in the Uni and I am just over anxious. Like a mother though, I worry. For I am now surrounded by children and I worry about what might happen to them and how they may turn out in the future. I worry about whether they will be able to take in all that I have imparted to them.

Then again, I worry too much. I should think more on the positive side and I guess I have no choice but be tolerant of smokers. For the slightest noise or gesture might just result in me being 'complained' about on national radio by the likes of Glen Ong, albeit anonymously. I think it was because he was smoking and someone made a waving gesture in the air and made some noise like "Aiya".

No comments:

Post a Comment