Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chinese New Year Eve

Today is day 2 of room packing and it is also the last day. That is, if I am really superstitious and want to follow tradition. We are not to clean or sweep our homes come midnight. Really though, who would want to be packing their rooms and homes when they can sit comfortably at about 12 midnight to countdown to the Chinese New Year (CNY)?

Bought a shredder for Dad (and myself, actually) and got it fixed up today. Helped him to install the printer too. Printer seems noisier than the previous one but still, I think the results of colour printing for this printer are fantastic!

This year, I feel that all around me, people are quietly festive. I can feel this sense of prudence all around, which, to me, is pretty good. It brings us back to the true meaning of the festival, to be with the family (sounds like Christmas, but aren't all festivals like that?). Some families may have less money to spend but there will (hopefully be) unspoken warmth.

As with previous years, my maternal grandparents, my parents and I went to have our reunion dinner at Ling Zhi Vegetarian Restaurant. This is the one time in the year when my mum gets a big treat of expensive but deliciously good vegetarian dishes.

Previous years too, we used to go to my eldest aunt's place to have our reunion dinner (after both my paternal grandparents passed away). This year though, she has some leg problems and decided to go out with her own children to eat.

No matter though coz we arranged with my aunts and we will be going to Crystal Jade tonight and this reunion business is not a laughing matter. We were already very late in booking our table (about one week before CNY eve). I had originally wanted to go to Lao Beijing which had yummy, yum, yum food but all their outlets were all booked out. Plus, they only have two sittings.

Crystal Jade had three sittings: 6.45pm, 7.30pm and 8.45pm. We took the latest as this means we do not need to rush through our meal and can really take our time. Can you imagine eating and having the wait staff clear your plates quickly and telling you your time would be up soon if you could not finish on time? Not very nice.

I didn't manage to take any pics last night as we went out of the house in a rush. Will try to take some tonight to post.

Till then, enjoy your reunion dinner if you haven't already had yours and wherever you are you can still have a reunion dinners with your own family and extended family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment