Tuesday, January 27, 2009

First day of Chinese New Year

T'was the first day of the Chinese New Year (CNY). I think I woke up earliest this year in the whole of my CNY history. In the past, we used to drag till about ten plus eleven o'clock before we could trot out of the house. This time though, we were on the roads by nine plus. That was quite a feat!

First stop was maternal grandparents' place. Found out that they were watching tv with yellow screen, which means it is going to go kapoot soon. Made a mental note to buy them one as soon as the shops open after CNY.

Then we were off to my first aunt's place. We thought we were early but third aunt and family were even earlier. No matter though for some of cousins were either chatting or napping. They had a very busy night before, with the kids and all. I suspect they went last minute shopping where all the new year goodies go cheap.

As much as I used to find it such a chore to sit around and wait for the adults to finish their conversations, I now welcome the chit-chatting and munching very much. It is a sort of bonding that only close family and relatives can have.

However, the number of places have been decreasing a little every year as relations die of old age or some ailment or other. This makes me treasure this time of the year even more. I just wonder, what will happen when it comes to our generation? Which cousin's place do we go to? Will we have enough younger generations to pass these traditions to (given that only 2 out of my 4 married cousins have children)?

No comments:

Post a Comment