Monday, August 18, 2008

Why I will not clear trays when I eat at food courts

I am typing this as I am listening to the National Day Rally Speech. Our Prime Minister mentioned something about clearing our trays and plates after eating at a food court.

I will clear trays at fast food joints and such, but I will try never to do so at a food court. What for? When your actions are not appreciated? I got scolded (more than once) at Bishan Junction 8 food court even after I politely held the tray and waited for the auntie to clear her other trays from the side station.

I could not remember the first bad encounter but for the second encounter, I remember being told off by her (may not be the same lady, You cannot see I am busy here ah?"

I left the food court feeling very angry and in a bit of a childish move, went back to give her a peace of my mind. I told her that she was very rude and she started shouting back at me again.

Then there were other incidents met by other friends that said that the tray cleaners were so afraid that their supervisors would scold them that they come in a hurry to take the tray away from you. In fact, from personal experience, they 'prey' on you when you are almost done, hoping to zip the tray from under you immediately when you are done.

For this, I feel that there is a very fine line between service and being rude. While it makes good service sense to clear in an efficient manner, it is another to clear it too quickly. It seems to send out this subliminal message to "move your butt once you have finished eating".

So, until I feel that there is an attitude change to these tray cleaners, I will not clear my own tray. Or maybe, I will just see how the situation goes: if the auntie or uncle looks nice enough. I will clear my tray and pass it to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment