Saturday, August 30, 2008

Touched...by little angels

Just celebrated Teacher's Day at work today (Friday, 29th August). I never used to think much of these celebrations, thinking that it is another way that business people make more money out of us, the consumers.

I totally soaked in the buying teachers a present fever this year. I saw children running around, demanding their mums buy a certain necklace, because her teacher likes that, and only that type of necklace (spoilt brat). There were kids going around shopping malls shouting at the top of their voices, "Tomorrow is teacher's day, tomorrow is teacher's day... ."

I myself was cracking my head, thinking of what to buy with limited budget. After all, my earning power is no longer like before. While I want to make my gift look good enough, I had to think about my pocket too. There was going to a gifts exchange and we were ordering home deliveries. We had already chosen satay, otak-otak, sushi, chicken from a certain famous Colonel and Indian food such as butter chicken, kitchen korma and stuff like that. Yum!

I am touched. Touched that these little hearts go all out to give us something, even if it is just a small token. Even though it may be their parents' ideas. Touched too, for as we exchange gifts amongst one another, there is this sense of belonging, closeness and happiness. Touched too, that for one day every year, we would get to celebrate OUR day.

However, there were two gifts that were most priceless and valuable to me today (Friday, OK?). It was when I hugged one of the older kids and he whispered, "I love your stories." and when, as I brought one of the kids for toilet break and was helping her with the wearing of her clothes, she whispered very softly but sweetly into my ear, "I love you". I wanted to hug her and cry there and then for it was so endearing.

The boy who told me he loves my stories can be very disobedient and does not like doing work and this little girl who told me she loves me is one of those who cannot stop talking and jumping around. Yet, I love them all. They are so poignant honest and real that no matter how naughty they may be, one cannot help but love them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment