Sunday, August 24, 2008

Dis-Orientated (just a little)

I have forgotten how unnerving going for lessons or orientation programmes could be. The last time I stepped into a school environment was in 1999. Almost 10 years ago.

You can imagine my shock when I saw so many unfamiliar faces staring back at me in the lecture room when I stepped into school. Nervousness was crawling under my skin. I suddenly felt uneasy all over again. For that split second, I was the shy girl back in the good 'ol days.

I guess age has done something to me though and so I put on my 'thick skin mask' and walked to an empty seat. It did not matter if I was not talking to anyone. At the end of the orientation programme though, I realise that it DOES matter that we should know as many people as possible. We are going to be with one another for 2 years and there will be lots of assignments and group projects.

I am a little worried here for I am (contrary to what a lot of my friends think) an introvert. My ex-housemate has brought me out of my shell a little but the old me sometimes re-visits. Will have to shoo it away and brace myself for new beginnings yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment