Sunday, August 31, 2008

Choosing the right set of mahjong

I have long wanted to buy a set of mahjong for my Finnish friend. He has a mini set, but I felt that he should have a real one, so that his big hands will not be so uncomfortable.

The thought of wanting to buy did not really coincide with the action, as my knowledge of where to buy it, is limited. I only knew that City Plaza has 2 shops selling it and there is a push cart stall at Marine Parade Promenade that sells it.

When I have decided to buy a set from City Plaza, my dad chided me for going there. He felt that Chinatown would have cheaper sets. On second confirmation with one of my cousins, it was conferred that there were more choices at People's Park.

What a day to go down as there was road closure from 2pm onwards for the lighting up of the roads for Mid Autumn Festival. Had to take a bus down but also had to walk on many diverted roads. Could not even walk across via the bridge.

When we finally reached our destination, I lifted my head to see where we could find a mahjong shop. There, right next to the escalator, on Level 2, was one. It was a wholesale centre. We went there.

We saw what we wanted but the price was not quite right and the lady boss did not really want to reduce the price anyway. We told her we would be back. I was at a lost. I did not know where else to go and my dad suggested we walked back to the other side of the road. I pulled a really long face. I was not ready to walk back there at all. It was a long tedious walk with too many people.

Just as was exasperatingly turning round and round Level 1, looking for a shopping directory, I saw this mahjong shop behind us. We walked in, the lady was friendly but not pushy. After showing us the several sizes of mahjong and me telling her what colour I was looking for, she took out what I wanted.

It was one size smaller than the one I saw before at Level 2, but when compared to similar sizes seen at Level 2, the set was still cheaper. We bargained a little more and got the set at a satisfactory price. My dad was also on the verge of buying a foldable mahjong table. She was willing to throw in the dampening mat at a preferential price.

However, my dad remembered that we did not drive down to town and decided not to buy the table...yet. Good choice as the mahjong set itself was rather heavy already.

The lady was very nice and she knew what was customer service and he concept of repeat business. She told us to come back to her when we decide that we wanted to buy the table. This lady must be called Irene as the shop was called Irene Engraving Services and Mahjong Shop.

Oh! Why did I wait so long to go buy the mahjong and not ask my dad to buy for me instead? I am a little weird in the sense that I feel that the FEEL is very important. I cannot just buy ANY mahjong set but I must look at it and like it, and have a good feel about it. I must also feel that the person playing it will love it. If not, there is no point buying it.

Well, I am glad I went down to get this set myself. I really love the colour and how it looks a bit jelly. I will take some pics and upload it as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment