Saturday, October 18, 2008

"Welcome to where time stands still..."

Hahahaha....Those were the lyrics and the start to Metallica's song, Sanitarium and yes, I was a fan and yes, I still remember those lines. I would like to think that I expose myself to a wide range of music and heavy metal was, and still is one of them.

It all started when I went to pre-university. I was hanging out with this group of girls and one of them had a nickname called Morbid Angel. She was this church-going, drum playing girl who put on black lipstick and nail polish at the slightest chance she could, despite the fact that she had a pretty strict dad (sorry uncle) who kept remembering my name as "Shandy" (like the beer with sprite drink. Hahaha!).

She introduced me to Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard, Sepultura, Skid Row (I remember you) and of course, there was Metallica. The black album was all the craze and almost everyday without fail, we would be singing "Exit light, enter night, take my hand, off to never- never land" during recess.

Why all this reminiscence? I was at HMV two days ago and I saw Metallica's new album out on the shelves. It was called Death Magnetic. It was on one of the tester CD stations and I took an 'earshot' at it. Wow!!! Completely blew me away with all this familiar 'duhn...duhta,duhta...' sound. It is the sort of sound that I like. The sounds being produced by bass guitars and played by Lars Ulrich. It's something very...Metallica.

I was really tempted to buy the album already except that I find their intro very long and I am not sure, at this point of time, whether I can still take to this type of head-banging for more than 10 minutes. Got me-self a Robin Thicke instead, among some others. Will test-listen to it a few more times before deciding whether to get it or not.

For now, I will just "sleep with one eye open..." (lyrics from Enter Sandman). Hahahahaha....!

Just a little note: I am no music expert and I do not bother myself too much with musical terminology. Therefore, there might be certain terms that may not be accurately described. Whatever it is, this is a personal posting so I really do not care much for terminology. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment