Sunday, July 25, 2010

It is not a sin to be fat

Yesterday, I was at NTUC Unity Pharmacy buying Johnson's Baby oil. I was actually on the look out for pure Vitamin C tablets (not those with zinc). The ones with zinc give me lots of gas, a sign of a weak digestive system. I was just looking around when the typical sales auntie walks up to ask me whether I needed help. I told her, "It's ok, I am just looking around."

A very standard reply but a reply nonetheless. It actually means "do not disturb me". Why is it that they do not get it at all??!!!! Ten, twenty over years and they still do not know how to treat a customer right. No wonder they seem to be killing flies more than making sales fly!

What happened next just made me seeth with anger. I mean, I have met with such situations a million times at least but every time, it never fails to make me boil. I just take it as a personal attack and very poor social etiquette. She asked me, " Do you want to take a look at some slimming products?"

How forthrightly insinuating can it get?? I was fuming and had wanted to put down the other products that I had chosen and was about to purchase, but I took three deep breaths and walked myself to the cashier. No point stooping down to that person's level. Well, at least she did not come outright to say that I have a very big tummy or that I had lots of blackheads, all of which happened during my whole lifespan.

I am not slim and far from skinny. However, I have lost quite a bit and am proud of who I am now. Although I am not at my ideal shape yet, I would like to be very positive about myself (which I am). I suppose that lady would not know all that information and she thought that she was giving me a big hand in suggesting that I go on diet.

I think I am a much smarter shopper than that. Slimming products can help momentarily but it does not last forever. One needs to exercise and change one's eating habits to healthier choices in order to maintain the figure.

For years now, these so-called promoters lack the tact and the very technique of capturing the heart of the customers. It's funny how pushy they are. Somebody should tell them to go learn some basic psychology or like I might have said somewhere before, go Taiwan. They have got superb customer service etiquette.

That said, I must tell you what I am doing now to change my eating habits. I am choosing more soupy stuff to eat, such as yong tau foo; ban mian; fish soup with bee hoon and so on. I also try to eat more greens and drink lots of water. Hee, as for the exercise bit, I must admit that I have been lagging a little, but at least I walk from my home to the MRT station. That is already a good 5-7 minutes. Plus changing MRT lines from the red line to the yellow line also requires some walking. Those are the minimal that I get right now. Will be factoring in more exercise regime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment