Thursday, July 8, 2010

Aaarrrh!!

Today (as in Wednesday, 7 July), I was really bitchy. I was rushing to go for night classes as it was going to start half an hour earlier. We were going to get instructions about our practicums and such. Did not want to miss a thing.

I stopped by at Kopi Tiam @ Plaza by the Park and thought it would be healthiest to eat yong tau foo. There were these three persons in front of me: two ladies and one man. The man took longer to decide what to have and I beat him to the queue to get my food done first.

After cooking the second bowl for the ladies, he told the cook to calculate all three bowls of yong tau foo together. I do not know but I felt that since my bowl was at the counter top before the man, that the cook should ask for my opinion on whether I minded to let him go first or not (since they were in one group). Instead, she just told me in Mandarin, "You wait, ah."

That made me boil. Not really but because I was in a hurry. Therefore, instead of taking it sitting down, I simply told her back calmly in smooth Mandarin that I did not want to buy her food anymore. I think the four words "I don't want already" are very powerful consumer tools. In fact, in my opinion, the most powerful. After all, the money is in my hands. I have a choice. All I heard her say was, "Huh??" as I rushed to get other stuff for dinner.

I chose not to wait and went to the nearest, fastest stall, which happened to be the duck rice stall. The duck meat was chopped up in a minute and the whole transaction took less than 3 minutes. I paid, took the packet of rice and took flight. I was going to be at least 4 minutes late, all no thanks to yong tau foo auntie.

By the way, I think that man was also very ungentlemanly. He saw me looking at my watch a few times already and I WAS indeed before him in terms of finalising my choices of yong tau foo pieces. I do not see any reason why I should not go first.

Anyhow, I only just made it in time as they started 5 minutes late to accommodate for people like me :(

No comments:

Post a Comment