Thursday, February 5, 2009

Gibberish

I had wanted to blog about bad drivers and bad driving but decided that that was an overdone topic. I can blog till the cows come home and there will still be bad drivers.

Oh! but this I must say though. The other day, I saw on the electronic board that said "Fire engine on Lane 1". Instead of giving way and changing to lane 2, I see many taxis speeding happily on Lane 1. I was cursing and swearing away when it suddenly dawned on me that they might not be able to read English (no offence meant). If they are not able to read what is on the board, then I think there is a flaw in the system.

Anyway, I digress. My cousin and I were talking about how Singaporeans are neither good in speaking English or Mandarin and also how some do not even see the need to speak proper English since they have Singlish (Singapore English).

We went on to talk about punctuations and came to this interesting and yet, I think, important point that "a man eating tiger and a man-eating tiger" has two very different meanings. It made me wonder what life would be like without any sort of punctuation marks...?

No comments:

Post a Comment