Monday, February 9, 2009

An almost artistic afternoon.

Went to watch the much talked about Taiwanese play, "The Village" yesterday at the Esplanade. Dad watched it the night before as he had another show to catch and so I went alone.

It was a very good performance with a stellar cast. It was these tv personalities walked out of the tv set and we were meeting them in real life. Yes, most of them are stars that we see in Taiwanese tv drama serials.

The story is about a Dependents' Village, a very real part of Taiwanese history. These people went over to Taiwan with Chiang Kai-Shek, thinking that it will be temporary and that they will be going back to China after a short stay. The short stay turned into years and from one generation, they have their second and even third generations in Taiwan.

It was a play that made me laugh and cry, cry and laugh some more. At the end of it all, we were treated to 'bao' (buns) as in the play, this old lady from Tianjin taught this Taiwanese girl how to make Tianjin 'baozi' (buns).

I had a leisurely stroll through the Esplanade and even caught some Visual Arts exhibition. I must applaud Esplanade though for they are able to make art accessible to the general public. Only thing is whether the general public are willing to go there to see it for themselves.

What I did not like was some of those obnoxious people who went for the show. There was this man dressed in nicely ironed shirt and pants. I was queueing up for drinks during the interval and he just walked right into me to walk to the other side while he was on his phone. No word of "excuse me".

Then, as I was going to order my drink, he cut the very long queue and got his drinks first!!!! The worst part was that the bartender did not even bother to ask him to follow the queue. Someone else in the queue had to point it out.

I was already giving him daggers and sword stares but really did not want to lower myself to his level to tell him off. He did not even apologise and just walked away. I really didn't know who to be madder with: the bartender or the obnoxious man.

All in all tbough, the experience was generally good. I went home feeling a little more....ahem...artistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment