Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Fine line between deal or no deal

Sometimes, I really do find that it is tough to be salesperson. You never what you said or did might just trigger a bad reaction or impression on your potential customer.

I went to a gym tonight under the invitation of an ex-colleague. This particular club has got Jackie Chan as its branding. It has been yonks, and I mean yonks, since I last visited a gym. I was with Planet Fitness before and now it is no longer even existing. It got bought over and was re-named as something else (not going to give free publicity though).

My friend/ ex-colleague introduced me to her personal trainer (PT) and they decided to let me do a fat/muscle/weight thingy. Hmm...it must have been bad coz the PT shook his head and went "Tsk, tsk, tsk..." in a dramatic manner by shaking his head. I suppose he thought that this would spur me on to sign on with the club but it just spouted negativity and I thought to myself that it must have been my fats area (I am conscious about it mah). As much as I know that I am on the plump side, I really do not wish people to make remarks or have such reactions like that. It is a rather sensitive issue.

Anyhow, that "Tsk, tsk, tsk..." and the fact that he said something like "...we can make you more sexy", just did not go down well with me. I suppose there was nothing wrong with what he said, but somehow, to me, there was some negative connotation to it and I quite decided then that I do not want to sign up already, even before the branch manager spoke to me. I mean, am I not already sexy? Duh! Anyway, I feel sexy already so if he meant to say "slimmer", then say so.

The thing is, everyone will have their own idiosyncrasies and their own likes and dislikes of words that should and should not be used. Therefore, I really feel that a service/ sales person's job is 100 times tougher than most others as they need to get the chemistry right with each and every customer.

Maybe though, just maybe, I am fussy. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment