Sunday, March 8, 2009

Yucks! Yucks! Yucks!

I had originally wanted to write about how I had a horrible lunch and how it was like eating poison as I had a big row with Dad before I ate.

I thought a visit to the hairdresser's would perk me up a little. Since I had just lost my original hairstylist, I thought I would explore a little. I messaged my cousin and asked about hers.

Before I go on, I want to say that I had every intention not to write what I am about to write. I had wanted to focus on the good stuff of the old salon that I used to go t (Reds, Tampines), but I still cannot hold myself back, so here it is. Oh! This has, in no part, got to do with my cousin either. She had quite an alright experience

My cousin recommended this guy named Tommy from I*CON by Shunji Matsuo (Suntec). I decided to take the plunge and go ahead with doing my hair. I was very apprehensive as I have not gone to any other hairstylist for so long.

I reached the said place and asked for Tommy. He didn't really talk much and I had barely sat down and he started asking me questions. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted and was probably too soft (voice). I mean, that is what a hairstylist is there for, right? They are there to listen and advise as they know better than us as to how we should do with our hair, how much stress our hair can take etc.

After two questions or so and me saying somewhat of an unsure answer from me, he walked away. Came this other lady who started talking to me. I thought she was the colourist. I thought she was going to colour my hair and then he would come and do the cutting. That was what Desmond at Reds used to do. In fact, Desmond would help the colourist. More than that, Desmond would listen to what I want and fit my needs closest to what my hair is capable of doing.

All this time, I was communicating with my cousin via sms. She also told me that he does the final cutting and his 'ka kias' (assistants) would do the rest. All this time, Tommy was either going about doing his own things or just sitting around. The real shocker came when the lady proceeded to trim my hair!!!

I was so shocked, I didn't know how to react!!!! Did I not ask for Tommy the minute I walked through the door? Did he not talk to me? Yes, he did not really communicate much but I had presumed that he would do so after my colouring and re-bonding was done. Even the re-bonding was communicated to the lady. I also presumed that she was in-charge of that area. I seriously had no idea that she would be cutting my hair too!!!!!!

I was really, really upset by then. I was not upset because my "cosmic cream" (or cosmic crimp, an alternative to re-bonding) did not turn out well. I was upset because I felt that I was taken for a ride and treated like a fool right up till the end!!!

From upset, I became fuming mad. I barked at the lady to not trim my hair so short as I really didn't want my hair to go wrong. I felt a little bad but I was already frustrated, upset and angry. When I was paying, she was explaining all that free stuff and all the 'discounts' that she was giving me and how I could use one of the vouchers given for my next visit.

I was not listening at all. I was just fuming. No. Seething. I had barely finished paying when I called my cousin to pour out my woes. I felt bad as it was not her fault but on the other hand, I just needed to vent it all out.

All I am going to say is that this would be my first and last visit to this particular hair salon. It did not help that my ears were constantly bombarded by sounds from the arcade next door. The slightly haphazard way that things were put also irked me a little. Although I had a good hair job but an appalling experience. I feel that a stylist should never be like that. I think that there is no basic manners and no service etiquette.

What can I say? I am spoilt and too pampered by Reds, but they really provide good service.

I will continue my search for a new hairstylist.

No comments:

Post a Comment