Sunday, March 1, 2009

At what price, love?

Sometimes, we lose almost, if not all our dignity when we go through a divorce. I think that women, at least in the local context, is at the losing end.

First, we have to wait. 3 years, before we can file. How many 3 years does a woman have? Yes, many say, you can find another while waiting it out (like going to jail isn't it?) But how many Singaporean men are so open as to accept a woman who is separated?

Then there is the selling of the property. There are lots of questions of who paid for what and how we are going to split the cost. It's not even funny when a lot of things that you have paid for just disappeared from your matrimonial home. Well, I just have to blame it on the fact that I now live in a much smaller space and have no where for any extra furniture (Oops! I think I had bitched about this in some other posting.)

Then, there is alimony. I had to throw away all dignity to ask him to put down a token sum. Not that I was going to ask him to pay it was just in case, in the future, if I ever needed to, I could then re-apply to court for him to pay me some. I mean who would want to wish bad stuff upon themselves?? Bad stuff meaning accidents, retrenchments. Touch wood, touch wood!!!

Even then, the guy does not even want it. He does not want to put it down on paper, even though I was not going to ask him to pay that token some as long as I am healthy and well. Even though, the alimony shit was to become void if I ever got married again. Ha!

"It's funny how our concerns for each other have come down to this: dollars and cents". This is what I wrote to him, but it's just reality, isn't it?

All this pain and dignity-throwing shit will be over soon. It will be over soon. Oh. I am actually excited about appearing in court. HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment