Sunday, November 16, 2008

Just passing by

Haha! I know I am working backwards, but I thought I just had to blog this down.

Went to my favourite Japanese food place again: Mr Sushi Grill Shop at Takashimaya, Basement 2. It is forever packed on Fridays and there are never enough seats as they are all counter seats. Was supposed to meet a friend but that friend was running real late and had asked me to eat first.

As I queued up in the imaginary queue, the waitress took an order from this lady whom, I presumed, went away for awhile and re-appeared, as the waitress explained that she was first. Then she proceeded to ask me for my order.

Now the couple in front of me, who were already hovering around me till I was going dizzy, got very offended. They woman said in Chinese, " We were first here, leh."

Reason given by waitress: "Sorry, because this lady (pointed to lady who re-appeared from nowhere) came first and now, only two customers have finished and left the seats. Since I give this lady first, then there is only one seat left. I can only give it to this other lady (me). Sorry, please wait awhile."

Turns out, the slightly angry couple did not have to wait long as a third person next to the two that were leaving, also left. I didn't have to wait long for my seat either. I was without much expectations that night as I knew this type of situation was going to happen. I am patient when it comes to deliciously good food.

The singly lady and I got our food. My was a salmon teriyaki set. We also got our a la carte order of ika, which is sotong. The portions used to be very good here but the fish on their sets have shrunk and so I ordered more. Besides, I did not eat much for lunch.

The best part was that the couple after the angry couple also got their food and the angry still were waiting for theirs!!! Hahaha! Just not her day. She then complained to the waitress and pointed to all of us and said how come we have all gotten our food and they are still waiting.

I feel I have been made a reluctant guilty party by her pointing at me like that. Plus, I think it was a little rude. I felt a little annoyed at first, but continued to eat anyway, since I did get my food already. Food was yummy and I was hungry!

Then, in a twist of events, this China Chinese lady came along and was trying to ask for the menu from the waitress. I pointed out to her that she could actually see from the light box above. She then told me that it did not look quite the same (she was looking at my food). I had to explain to her that I ordered some extras.

Right after she ordered. This other Japanese guy wanted to order too. He wanted to change the salad on the set to oden (Japanese fishcakes and such) but waitress did not understand. As I tried to play translator, waitress goes into kitchen to get the chef out.

Japanese man asks if she understood English or not. Had to explain to him that she probably understood more Chinese than English. Did not have the heart to tell him that his English was a little difficult for the poor lady to understand. It is not everyday when people would understand when you tell them "salado" (if you could try to imagine the Japanese way of pronunciation).

Then he quickly added that he should learn more Chinese, as it is greatly used everywhere now.

Engaged myself in conversation with the Chinese lady. She seems more cultured than most that I have seen (had quite an unpleasant encounter with local Chinese "Ah Pek" and his China Chinese girlfriend at the same eating place which I did not feel very nice to blog about).

Turns out she was on a business trip and she also asked whether English was taught as a first language here in Singapore and Malaysia. Told her that it definitely was for Singapore but I was not too sure about Malaysia. I also did not want to trouble myself to explain about the old school system whereby you chose either English stream or Chinese stream.

As I have learnt in my many travel experiences, one should never let slip an opportunity to promote one's own country's tourism and boost one's own economy a little. The locals of the countries that I have visited always concentrated on the good stuff and tell of where to eat, where to shop, what to see and so on. Therefore, before I left, I told her that if she was still around tomorrow night (Saturday), shops will be open till 11pm at night.

Here food came as I paid for my bill. We exchanged our good byes and I left on a high note, feeling much better than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment