Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Need to cool that seething madness

I was seething mad. In fact, in a way, I am still seething. Spurts of smoke (imaginary, of course) can still be seen spurting out of my ears occasionally.

I called up my boss to inform her about my extension of medical leave and guess what she told me? She said that if I did not have the word "Chicken pox" on my medical certificate (MC), then only one day of official MC will be counted.

I was so stunned at that point of time, I did not know what say. Not only was she insinuating that I was lying to her, but she was also (directly or indirectly) insulting and questioning the integrity of the doctor.

As I put down the phone, the fact of the matter slowly sank in. I almost wanted to immediately blog it down but I thought I would cool down first. But I can't cool down. I do not care whether it was HR's policies or what but it was really RUDE!

The funny thing was that just a day before, one other colleague had gotten an MC for 2 days. She looked fine the day before but because she went to the polyclinic, she got the official 2 days. On the third day that she was supposed to come back to work, she had already earlier applied for leave to shift house. I am not going to say anything here but I would let you, my readers, be a little bit of Sherlock Holmes and go figure out why I am so mad.

Therefore, is it right to say that if I go and waste my time, wait at the polyclinic, then I will get my official MC for sure?? Or is it that all private doctors are quacks??? Because that is the message that she is sending me. RIDICULOUS!!

Plus the fact is, I DO have chicken pox!!! I have scars to prove it, even though it is not many simply because I was given the anti-viral pills to stop the spreading. You know, just because of some minorities who abuse the system, we people, who do not want to fall sick at all are always the victim. Maybe we are too obedient. If we talked back, then maybe, there would be some sort of reaction. Then again, we are in a very Asian society and I find that most companies and organisations work in very Asian mindsets. Talking back is a big no-no. It is almost like death sentence.

I mean who likes to pay money to the doctor every month??? Who likes to wait there for hours just to see the doctor??? Seriously, sometimes I wish Asian bosses were more empathising towards their employees, but I think that would take us 10 decades to reach that level of empathy. There is no magic; changing cultures take that long, if they ever succeed, that is.

Anyway, I went to the doc's and it showed on his face that he felt that this was all a joke too. He commented, "An MC is an MC" and smiled. The doc's word IS the law in the medical world. Well, in normal everyday life, GP terms, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment