Friday, May 21, 2010

Craving

Never had I have such a bad craving for something. I almost thought that I was pregnant and although I know that I wasn't (how to, when I am so very single?), I thought I would die if I did not satisfy my craving.

It was a Tuesday evening and I decided to go and eat at Ion Orchard. I passed by the very much talked about bakery/ patisserie called Bread Society. It was opened by this very much celebrity Japanese baker and it has very European sort of breads there. My parents like the Kraften (hope I got the right spelling) dark rye bread and so whenever I can, I will buy it for them. It is $3.30 for only half a loaf! Super precious!

I once overhead this Japanese lady comment, "Tsubarashi" while I was buying bread in the shop and upon checking the internet, this word means something along the lines of "fantastic, excellent, incredible". If it came from a fellow Japanese's mouth, then it should be good! Then again, I already tried it before that and KNEW that it IS good!

There are lots of fanciful stuff within the shop like the custard brioche and things like that, but my favourites are 45rpm, mad about mushrooms, and most of all (the one that caused me to crave), the spinach and cheese bun.

Let me start with 45rpm. It is a super long sausage wrapped in dough and the description in the shop makes me conjure up this cartoon image of someone eating up a very long piece of bread from one end of the room to the other at top speed. The mad about mushroom piece has got some potato and squash in the middle of a round bread topped with lots and lots of forest mushrooms. Hee! Maybe not forest mushrooms but really delicious ones.

I chanced upon the spinach and mushroom buns by accident. They were just lying in the corner, away from the main trays of buns. They did not look very attractive. I had to walk by twice to finally decide to get them. I only got it because the ingredients reminded me of quiche lorraine, which I happen to like.

It was love at first bite when I heated it up in the oven to eat. Yummmmm, yummmm!!!! I really wanted to go back that same night (Wednesday) to buy some more as they were not too expensive, but I really could not. I had to attend classes. Bummer! The thought of me not being able to eat it the next day and having to wait two days to buy and eat it just made me feel all panicky and like I said before, I thought I was going to die. At that point of time, it was worse than missing someone.

Anyhow, I really went back to Bread Society yesterday to get my beloved bread rolls and I have another new favourite which is called mustard and bacon on dark rye. Yes, I actually went to the heart of Orchard Road, despite the newspapers reporting that the Orchard MRT had been marked by Indonesian terrorists; despite the fact that there was heightened security all around. All this, for the sake of food.

p/s: The Japanese baker, who has a life-size cut out of himself in the shop, actually does exist! My mum was fortunate enough to see him kneading dough in his work area and she said that he was very polite as he nodded at her every time he looked up and saw her. Aaaargh!!!! Jealous!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment