Monday, April 27, 2009

Give me my space!

Today, for the very first time in my life, I told a salesperson off. You know? The type of salesperson who comes and tells you that you have too many blackheads or that you are too fat? Those that are in pharmacies and such?

This happened at Watson's Takashimaya. My colleague had wanted to buy some colour dye to dye her hair at home (cheaper this way).

The moment we were standing at that particular section, this middle-aged woman comes forward to ask us, "Looking for some shampoo for your hair?"

Let me tell you, her body language was already not quite right, but what followed was even worse. She saw us walking towards the hair dye section and moved up closer to us and asked, "Looking for hair dyes is it?"

She then stood even closer till I had to edge back a little and worse still she was standing like a gangster, weight on one leg and one shoulder tilted at an angle towards us, as if asking us, "What's up? Want to fight is it?"

I was boiling and I think I had enough of all these types of lousy sales tactics that should have been gotten rid of ten, twenty years ago. I do not know where I got my guts from but I proceeded to tell her off, "Please do not stand so close. Back off. We will see for ourselves. If you continue to stand here, I might just move away and not buy anything!"

I think she was so shocked at me barking at her like that, that she really backed off for quite a while.

Even though I feel quite back for telling her off like that, but I feel that I have suppressed my unhappiness for such situations that I was going to burst if I held my opinion to myself any longer.

Anyhow, I felt much better after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment