Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Another cheap thrill moment

It's strange how we see certain things in this world. It's like how I know, if I were given a $10 voucher to be spent on my next purchase, it is not really a saving on my present (or even next) purchase. For, if I did not go back to the shop and buy again, I would not be spending any money at all!

Nevertheless, I was chided by my Dad the other day (Saturday)for falling into a sort of marketing trap by the petrol company. You see, Shell was having this promotion for V Power: From 7pm t 11pm, Friday to Sunday, the price of V Power is the same as 98.

He felt that I was unwise to fall into the trap of paying more. We (or rather, I, for my Dad goes for Caltex)usually pump 95 and this is still cheaper than 98, with or without offer.

Truth be told, is that I am a little 'vain' in this area too. V Power does give more power to the car (just as I feel that Shell petrol generally gives one's car more power. You can call it a psychological thing but I don't really care. Of course I knew that even with special offer, it was going to be more expensive than my usual. To me though, pumping V Power was like eating at Les Amies (not that I have) or buying that Gucci bag. It is a once-in-a-while pleasure that I reward myself with. Not something that I would do everyday.

By the way, it was quite a cheap thrill sort of moment when I went to pump my petrol. My petrol meter was close to touching the "E" line, yet it was only 6.50pm. Having worked in the customer service line before, I knew better than to pester staff to let me have the discount before the stipulated time.

I was a little panicky (since I was running on empty) when I remembered that there was a small lane just before the petrol station. By the time I reached the lane, it was 6.56pm. Strange how time seems to come to a standstill just when you want it to pass quickly.

6.58pm. I realised I was blocking another car and had to shift my car. As I moved it, I made the decision to head off to my destination: the petrol station. After all, it was peak period and there were many vehicles about. By the time I am able to filter out, it should be 7pm already.

True to my 'calculation', the news was being reported on Class 95FM and there was a little car queue at the station too. By the time I got a place a the pump, it was already passed 7pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment